Posted by Chris Ellison - Oct. 11, 2020 | Contact Author
How to Convert DVD to MP4 Free with VLC on Mac/Windows
Like most people, you may like using the VLC converter as your media player, for the free player can play various audio & video formats, as well as DVDs, etc. Ever thought of using VLC as a disc ripper to convert your DVDs to MP4 or other digital file format for playback anywhere you like? Well, that's one of the cool features in VLC. If you have no idea about how to convert DVD using VLC, you can read this article to get a step-by-step guide, and how to fix problems by an alternative to VLC for converting DVD to MP4.
Click the links below to jump to the part you are most interested in.
Part 1. How to Convert DVD to MP4 with VLC on Mac
For your Mac computer, VLC works as a decent disc ripping tool as it facilitates converting DVD contents into for MP4 format. Once converted, the files can be played on a wide range of devices and players without any need for a DVD player.
Steps for DVD to MP4 Conversion on Mac (macOS Big Sur included):
1: Insert the DVD into your Mac drive and then open VLC on your Mac. From the drop-down menu at the File tab, choose the Open Disc option.
2: A window with your disc information will open. Click the box for Disable DVD menus. At the bottom left corner, check the box for Stream output.
3: Hit the Settings button that will allow you to a new window. Here check the File option to get the ripped disc as a file on your Mac. Hit Browse to select the location where you want to save the converted disc. A pop-up window, choose file name and location at Save As and Where tabs respectively. Click the Save button to confirm.
4: Next, Open the drop-down menu at the Encapsulation Method and choose MPEG 4. Make the needed video and audio settings. Click OK to confirm all the settings.
5: Finally, click Open to start to convert DVD with VLC Mac.
Part 2. How to Use VLC to Convert DVD to MP4 on Windows
VLC also works great on the Windows system and just like its Mac version support changing your disc content into MP4 format.
1: Open VLC Media Player on your Windows 10 PC. From the main menu, click the Media tab on the top-left corner to open a drop-down menu and choose Open Disc. A new pop-up window will open. Alternatively, you can also select the Convert/Save option from the Media tab and then select the Disc tab from the pop-up window.
2: Under Disc Selection, check the box for No disc menus. At Disc Drive, browse and choose the DVD location.
3: Open drop-down menu next to the Play button on the bottom-right corner. Choose Convert from the list.
4: A new Convert window will open from where choose MP4 as Profile format under Settings and location of the converted file and its name at the Destination File: tab.
5: Finally, click Start to turn DVD to MP4 with VLC.
Part 3. What If VLC Failed to Convert DVD to MP4?
VLC is undoubtedly a robust media player that also supports video conversion and DVD ripping features. Since the player is not a professional DVD tool, a number of issues may encounter like these:
1. I'm trying to convert a DVD with VLC, but it generates a weird error message that says DVDRead could not open the disk. It's especially weird as VLC plays the DVD fine... If anyone can offer any help that will be great!
2. I'm following the instructions from How-To Geek: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2696/how-to-rip-dvds-with-vlc/, and anytime I click "start", it just shuts out and looks like how it does when you first open VLC, no special recording or streaming message or moving anything.
If you failed to convert DVD to MP4 or VLC, you're recommended to check the steps and other settings. Below are some fixes:
First of all, check VLC ripping DVD steps in case it's your misoperation that leads to VLC won't rip DVD to MP4.
If all steps are right and VLC still cannot rip DVD, do the following troubleshooting tips:
• Take the DVD disc out of the DVD-ROM drive and put it in again, or alter a DVD disc to have a try.
• Restart your Windows PC or Mac OS X.
• Reset VLC to default settings, or unistall and reinstall the VLC player, better the latest version (currently V.3.2.11).
If those troubleshooting steps all fail to work, it means you should find other ways to fix VLC won't rip DVD problems, be it a certain one or a pile of DVDs. If you're looking for the easiest and fastest solution to fix VLC won't rip DVD, DumboFab DVD Ripper fits the bill. with which you will be no longer worry about "VCL rip DVD doesn't work sometimes" or "VLC rip DVD with so slow speed" any more. And this program provides much more media formats/device profiles than VLC, and can also edit DVD video, add subtitle, take snapshot as VLC does.
DumboFab DVD Ripper - The Best Alternative to VLC for DVD Ripping to MP4.
• Remove any DVD encryption technologies, like CSS, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, APS and even Disney X-project DRM.
• Convert DVD to nearly all mainstream video/audio formats and portable devices, be it MP4 HEVC/H264, AVI, M4V, FLV, or iPhone, iPad, Andorid, PSP, Xbox, Chromecast.
• Deliver 3x-5x ripping speed than any other DVD rippers in the market.
• Work as a video editor before converting with features of cropping, trimming, rotating, and others.
• Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/2003/Vista/XP, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Just get it to say bye-bye to VLC won't rip DVD matter NOW!
3 Simple Steps to turn DVD to MP4 by using an alternative to VLC:
Step 1: Input the DVD disc to DVD-ROM. Launch DumboFab DVD Ripper and click the Load DVD button to import the original DVDs you want to put into Plex.
Step 2: From Fomrat drop-down list, you're recommended to choose H.264 encoded MP4 from Common Video category as the output format because H264 MP4 is is the most popular video format for almost all devices and media players. You can choose to rip DVD to H.265 MP4 to get a smaller size.
Step 3: Hit the Convert button to rip DVD for Plex at lightning speed with best quality.
Disclaimer: DumboFab Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so. The free trial version can just rip DVD to MP4 video in 3 minutes at most. So if this program is palatable to you, just buy it right away!